UK Graduate Visa (Post Study Work)

The new Graduate Visa was launched from 1 July 2021. This is also known as the Post-study Work Visa (PSW), as it gives you time to look for a job in the UK.

Expert Guidance, Every Step of the Way

Ready to get started?

Table of contents

About The Graduate Visa

This route aims to increase the attractiveness of the UK’s offer to international students, ensuring we remain internationally competitive and increase the number of international students in higher education.

This would be open to all international students. When you have successfully completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree from a UK university, you may apply for a Graduate Visa to remain in the UK for 2 to 3 years after you graduate.

  • For most graduates, the visa would be granted for 2 years.
  • For PhD graduates, the visa would be granted for 3 years.

Graduates on this route will be able to work flexibly, gain work experience and develop their career. The advantages of this Graduate Visa are:

  • No quota
  • No sponsorship needed
  • No minimum salary or skill requirement
  • No maintenance requirement
  • No English test requirement
  • Freedom to find or change jobs

Current graduate visa requirements

In order to be eligible for this visa, you must fulfil the following requirements:

  • You must have successfully completed a relevant course, which must be either:
  • An undergraduate degree
  • A Masters degree
  • A PhD degree or other doctoral qualification
  • One of these qualifications listed in paragraph GR 5.2 of Appendix Graduate of the Immigration Rules. This includes:
  • The Legal Practice Course in England and Wales, the Solicitors Course in Northern Ireland, or a Diploma in Professional Legal Practice in Scotland
  • A foundation programme in Medicine or Dentistry
  • The course must have been completed with a Higher Education Provider with a track record of compliance and who have valid Student (or Tier 4) permission at the time of application
  • You must have completed the entirety of the degree in the UK if the length of the course was 12 months or less, or at least 12 months in the UK if the course was longer than 12 months
  • There is no requirement to have started the relevant course in any specific year
  • You must hold a valid Student (or Tier 4) Visa at the time of application

Graduate visa application process

You will need to apply online for a Graduate Visa via the Home Office website.

You will be required to attend a Biometric Appointment to have your fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application centre.

Obtaining Indefinite Leave to Remain

This route provides an opportunity to switch into other Visa routes (including Skilled Worker Visa, Partner Visa, Start-up Visa etc.) thereafter if the requirements are met, so that you can progress towards Settlement and Citizenship. If you have spent nearly 10 years in the UK on various student visas, the 2 or 3 years of Graduate Visa may also count towards the 10-year Long Residence Indefinite Leave to Remain route.


Can I bring my family members with me to the UK if I am on a Graduate Visa?

Link to open QC Immigration job description

How much will the application cost?

Link to open QC Immigration job description

How early can I apply for a Graduate Visa?

Link to open QC Immigration job description

How long can I stay in the UK on a Graduate Visa?

Link to open QC Immigration job description

Can I switch to a graduate visa if I am in the UK on another visa?

Link to open QC Immigration job description