Mar 22, 2018
2 minutes read

Proving your English knowledge for Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa

Entrepreneur Visa

There are a number of different requirements you need to meet when applying for a Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa. In some cases, you may need to show that you have sufficient English knowledge. This can be a source of concern for a lot of people, as they worry that their English language skills will not be good enough.

Not everyone will need to showcase his or her English knowledge. Nationals of some countries, such as Canada, Jamaica and Canada, do not require an English test.

Which countries don't require an English test when applying for Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa?

If you are a national of one of the following countries you won’t be required to take any sort of language test:

- Trinidad and Tobago
- St. Vincent and the Grenadines
- St. Lucia
- St. Kitts and Nevis
- New Zealand
- Jamaica
- Guyana
- Grenada
- Dominica
- Canada
- Belize
- Barbados
- The Bahamas
- Australia
- Antigua and Barbuda

There are also some exceptional circumstances that may mean you do not need to prove your knowledge of English. The best thing to do is speak with immigration experts with experience in Tier 1 Entrepreneur applications, as they will be able to advise further on this.

What if you DO require an English test when applying?

If you do need to showcase your knowledge of English, there are a number of ways you can do this. One option is by proving that you have an academic qualification that was taught in English. To qualify as sufficient proof, this course must be UK NARIC recognised as being equal in stature to a PhD, master's degree or bachelor's degree in the United Kingdom.

If you do not have an academic qualification that was taught in English, the other option is to pass an approved English language test. You need to achieve at least CEFR level B1 in listening, speaking, writing and reading. There are many approved secure English language test centres throughout the country. Make sure you bring an acceptable form of identification with you, i.e. a valid Biometric Residence Permit, a valid EU identity card, or a valid passport or travel document. Driving licenses cannot be used as proof of identity.

If you want to apply for a Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa, get in touch with QC Immigration for further assistance. We can help you determine if you need to prove your English language skills and how to go about it.

Have a question?
Book a consultation