Jul 11, 2024
2 minutes read

UK Spouse & Partner Visas Financial Requirements

Spouse and Partner Visa
A financial scene with charts, graphs, coins, cash, a calculator, and a notebook depicting financial requirements.

In April 2024, the Home Office raised the minimum income threshold for Partner Visas, which include Spouse Visa, Fiancé/Fiancée Visa, Civil Partner Visa, Unmarried Partner Visa and Same-sex Partner Visa, to no less than £29,000 (or £23,496 for HM Armed Forces personnel) a year.

Below are the most common income sources:

Work Income

If the Visa applicant is applying from abroad, you can only rely on the earnings of your Settled partner (UK Sponsor who is British, Irish or have Indefinite Leave to Remain) and cannot use your own income. If the Visa applicant is applying from within the UK and has the right to work in the UK (holding a Graduate Visa, Skilled Worker Visa or other qualifying Visas), both partners' earnings can be combined as a proof.

An illustration showing stacks of British pound banknotes, a tablet with financial information displayed, and a calendar, symbolizing financial planning and management.


Payslips and employment verification are the most common ways to prove income for Partner Visa applications. If you and/or your partner have been employed with the current employer for more than 6 months, the minimum documents needed are employer letter, proof of payment received and the most recent 6 months’ payslips. If you and/or your partner have been with the current employer for less than 6 months, you typically need to provide documents including and not limited to a letter from the current employer, proof of payment received and the most recent 12 months’ payslips (including any previous jobs).

Self-employed or Director

If you and/or your partner are Self-employed or a Director of a company, you need to show personal income received through personal tax return and/or company tax return for the most recent financial year or the average income of two financial years (if this helps to reach £29,000). Personal and company tax returns have different fiscal year calculations, requiring case-specific analysis. The preparation of documents in this category is relatively complex, and it is recommended to seek the expertise of an experienced immigration specialist in this area.

People exchanging money and documents in front of modern apartment buildings, representing a landlord and paying tenants.

Non-employment Income 

Other acceptable ongoing income include Rental income from owned properties, Investment Dividends, Pension, Interest from savings, Legal or Insurance payments. As for rental income, ensure the rented property is not your or your partner's primary residence (e.g., income from renting out a room in your own home cannot be counted). Required documentation includes proof of property ownership, the rental agreement with tenants and other proof of payment. Income amounts should be before tax and do not need to deduct property management fees charged by agencies.

A piggy bank filled with cash, surrounded by coins, a wallet, and a calculator on a desk by a window.

Cash Savings 

The minimum required amount of cash savings is £88,500. Besides your or your UK partner’s bank savings, family or friends’ cash gifts may help towards meeting this level. The savings must be held jointly or separately in your or your partner’s bank account, for at least 6 months. Savings can be combined with Employment income but cannot be combined with Self-employment income.

A depiction of a financial institution held by hands, with coins, cash, and scales symbolizing government financial support.

Other Financial Resources

You may be exempt from all the above, if your Sponsor receives one of these benefits:

o Carer’s Allowance

o Disability Living Allowance

o Severe Disablement Allowance

o Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

o Attendance Allowance

o Personal Independence Payment

o Armed Forces Independence Payment or Guaranteed Income Payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme

o Constant Attendance Allowance, Mobility Supplement or War Disablement Pension under the War Pensions Scheme

o Police Injury Pension

Top Articles

Have a question?
Book a consultation